Oh no! If you’re reading this, the chances are you’ve broken your arm or leg or have a serious fracture. If you’re in a cast, it can be difficult to get comfortable and comfort can be especially evasive when you’re trying to get to sleep. This month sees the celebration of the Festival of Sleep day, so what better time to assess your slumber? Here are some tips on how to get more ZZZs while you recover.
- Follow your doctor’s orders. Take pain medication as you have been directed to ensure that the pain is kept to a minimum.
- Before you go to bed, take a relaxing bath. This will help your muscles relax and prepare you for a long sleep. Be sure to use a LimbO, so you can bathe with peace of mind that your cast won’t get wet. Try adding a few drops of chamomile or lavender essential oil to the bath for a natural aid to sleep.
- Elevating the limb with the cast will be vital in helping reduce swelling, particularly in the first 48 hours
- A cast can be abrasive against the skin. Cover it using one of our cast sleeves to protect your skin and your bed linen while you sleep.
- For small children reassurance that they will soon feel better, a cuddle and good bedtime story will help them sleep.